For The Longer Haul

OMGosh...my back is aching! Well, as expected lah. Went for a facial spa and body scrub with my colleague, Fayanne yesterday afternoon... as a 'friend' for this exclusion promotion under her credit card. It was supposed to be a pampering treat. But for people like me, who has a low pain threshold, I think it's not value for money. Cuz I'd either be laughing away or all tensed up in anticipation of the pain. The laughing part probably releases the tension...and that's about it.

One thing I know for sure, I'd definitely not want to park at Orchard Hotel again. It was a weekday and the first hour costs $4, and $1.50 for subsequent half hour!!! Wah, thank God they sell this 4-hour ticket at $4.80. We were there early so plus the whole treatment, I paid another $1 more. I would have to pay $14 plus if not for that ticket! Faint...

After the treatment it was MSq Xin Wang for dinner and some shopping. Today I tried this red bean ice. Wah, super nice. Gotta have that again the next time I'm there.

I guess it's a well-deserved treat for me, even though I have to take PM leave. I received my 10-year long service award in the morning and entertained the rest of the awardees, PCEO and Directors with a couple of songs - one planned, one impromptu. Some of my colleagues came to support with a bouquet of flowers. They literally screamed when the emcee (a.k.a. Mui the sister) announced my name to receive the award from PCEO. I was touched, no doubt. It was hard not to be beaming when we were presenting the song item after everyone received their award.

April 1998. That was when I became a permanent staff at TP. If you go to our Auditoria Foyer, there's a board there filled with names of TP staff put up during our 10th year (I think). You'll find my name in the 1998 section. Actually, I was there in December 1997, but as a temp SDO. My current batch of students were still in their lower primary, then. Who would know then that our paths would cross now. Everything happens in His time, with each and everyone of us in mind.

At the reception, was chatting with Dr Arnold Tan, one of my favourite colleagues, when we came to this question: In 2 years' time, if PCEO still around and he's going to get his Long Service Award, who'd be the one presenting the award to him? So we walked over to ask him and the conclusion after a few laughs, is that it would be really meaningful if he receives it from the most junior staff. Hmmm...

So we were chatting away when I was struck with some food for thought by the wise group of company (Mui included). That as a good leader, it would be considered a success factor if your subordinates did well without feeling that you have a part in it. Profound, if you knew the rapid thoughts going through my mind then.

And a success factor for a staff would be to manage one's job area so systematically that operations would still run smoothly should anything happen to him/her. So here I see the value of ISO audits. I told myself, then, that that would be how I want to manage my work area. That would be my methodology. It's A LOT OF WORK and very much a conscious effort...but I kinda believe that's how it should be, even if it's baby steps everyday. Anything can happen to a person...but the organisation must still be able to go on without you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

돌아왔어

Skitzophrenia

So Wonderful Is Your Goodness, O Lord!