Overcoming Grace

It's been such a long time since I last shared at my fortnightly prison visit that this batch would not have heard from me before. I've been telling my group members that this is not what I've signed up for when I entered this ministry...that was like, what, 5 years ago? I have this phobia about sharing God's word. It's like, what if I teach the wrong thing? There was once I even bailed out last minute. But this time...couldn't seem to get away from it when I was asked 2 weeks ago to take the sharing. I was promised help if I need it and was also convinced that I shouldn't keep putting off what I should eventually progress towards.

Today came. How everything came together was nothing less than God's grace. I prayed, God answered. I got the topic, did a bit of search in the Bible, asked a few people questions to get some ideas and inspiration, and finally came out with the notes for this afternoon. The topic - 'Grace'. How apt.

The past 2 weeks have been rather crazy at work, plus Zion Convention where I was on duty to sing 2 out of the 3 nights, plus the Sunday before and the one after, and all the rehearsals leading to them. It was really God's grace that preserved my voice as my throat was threatening to go at a few occasions. I'm not complaining about the frequency. I agreed to cover one of the singers and I love doing it. Was just a little stressed up about one song I was asked to take this morning, cuz it was quite high in range for me and, plus, I tend to forget lyrics, and memorizing somehow doesn't come so easy for me. To top it up, I haven't organised or put on paper my thoughts for what I was to share on 'Grace'. Guess I was to experience His grace to overcome my fears before I could sincerely share it.

After both services, Caleb, our Worship Director, reminded us of the importance of God's anointing during praise and worship, that no matter how good the musicians, singers, soundman etc. are, or how happening the songs are, if it has no anointing, we're wasting our time. We have to be mindful and be watchful to keep our lives right. What happens on Sunday is affected by what goes on from Monday to Saturday. That's everyone's personal responsiblity. Of course, God is sovereign to move as He so pleases. But it makes obvious sense that we can't expect Him to show up with a life that's not pleasing to Him.

What Caleb addressed today was nothing new, but the emphasis was seasonal and timely. I'm convicted, once again. Can I just say? God is so good and so faithful. He will surely give us the grace to get to where He wants us to go, and become what He wants us to be.

Anyway, the sharing with the boys went well. So well, in fact, we didn't even stop for the usual 'free time'. It was rather interactive - some planned, some spontaneous. A few of my fellow counsellors contributed to the topic during different pockets. What needs to be done, was done. The rest, I commit it to the Holy Spirit to do His work in their hearts. Glib of the tongue doesn't guarantee outcome. One's heart - it's receptivity and willingness to put to action what one has heard - and God's handiwork are what makes the difference to change lives.

Below is a light-hearted illustration on grace that I found when I did a search on the www...

By: Bob Deffinbaugh, Th.M. (Bio)

If you wanna read more, click here.

I have a friend whose experience gives us some insight into the doctrine of the grace of God. He had just returned from Viet Nam where he had served in the Army. Upon his release he had sufficient funds to fulfill a long-time desire to own a new Jaguar. Early one morning he was driving in a remotely populated part of Oklahoma which, he reasoned, was the perfect place to find out how fast the car could go. The speedometer was easing its way past 160 as the powerful sports car reached the top of a small rise. Just beyond, a highway patrolman was waiting. A law-abiding citizen, my friend slammed on the brakes, slid past the officer at 150 miles per hour, and came to a halt some distance down the road.

Before long, the officer caught up and stood beside the sleek convertible. “Do you have any idea how fast you were going?” he inquired. “Well, roughly,” was the deliberately evasive reply. “One hundred sixty-three miles per hour!” the officer specified. “That’s about what I thought,” my friend confessed, somewhat sheepishly. Guilt was obvious, and there was no possible excuse to be offered. My friend could only wait to discover what this fiasco was going to cost. He meekly waited for the officer to proceed. To his amazement the patrolman queried, “Would you mind if I took a look at that engine?”

The fine points of high performance automobiles cannot be discussed quickly, so both went on to a coffee shop where they could talk further. A while later, both of the men shook hands and went their separate ways. My friend was elated, for the officer had not given him a citation.

That is about as close to grace as one can come on this earth, but it is still not quite up to the standard of biblical grace. (I say that because biblical grace would be demonstrated only if the patrolman had paid for the coffee.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

돌아왔어

Skitzophrenia

So Wonderful Is Your Goodness, O Lord!