It Has To Be Fish Sauce

I love cooking with fish sauce. You can say I grew up with it. My favourite hawker food since childhood - fish ball noodle - uses it. Ok, those that use soya sauce can step one side. It makes a good difference if the cut chilli is soaked in it.

So I was just eating the minced pork porridge that mom made. It tasted a bit plain so I added some fish sauce. Mmmm...I'm going to eat another serving. :P~

You know how you would sometime wonder. How could something that tastes so good be really good for health. One lingering thought I have about fish sauce that occasionally popped up into my mind to haunt me is...does fish sauce contain MSG?

So I decided to indulge my curiosity this time and did a search on the internet. Well, apparently, the low grade ones do. And the article on 'How Fish Sauce Is Made' has it well covered. Well, it was enough for me :D

One paragraph by the writer, Kasma, made me extra happy, "For your information, good quality fish sauce not only works wonders on Thai food, it is also good for you. It is high in protein (as much as ten percent for top grade), and this protein is a complete one containing all the essential amino acids that the body requires for growth and regeneration. It also contains a rich supply of B vitamins, especially B 12 and pantothenic acid, riboflavin and niacin. Other beneficial nutrients include calcium, phosphorous, iodine and iron."

Ok, honestly, I most probably am not going to further research to verify the above statement. And I won't sue this lady for a bad claim if the truth shows otherwise. At least I'm not too ignorant to get any kind of fish sauce from the shelf. I'll just go for the recommended higher grade ones, which doesn't contain MSG. Supposedly. Ok, I'll check the label just to double confirm lah.

Do these bottles look familiar to you? I think except for the King Crab one (3rd bottle from the left) I might have seen the others in our supermarket.




The one I have in the kitchen right now has the following ingredients: fish, salt, water and burnt sugar. Burnt sugar??? Lol...I think it meant caramel. The proper label would probably put fish extract to be more accurate. I'm going for an upgrade once this bottle is finito... By the look of it, it should be done in no time. In fact, I could start hunting down one of the 4 recommended labels.

Maybe on my way back from picnic at Pasir Ris Park tomorrow I can drop by at Giant.

Muahahaha!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

돌아왔어

Skitzophrenia

So Wonderful Is Your Goodness, O Lord!