To X Or Not To X

Ohhh...it's been such a long and tiring work week.

Just one stupid trip and fall, and everything seems to turn into 'slow-mo' requiring more effort as usual to do. It's been a week. I'm almost recovered now, but I'm still walking slowly, and down the stairs at half steps. Very thankful, nonetheless.

Stayed back in the office last night to finish up the other of my 2 elearning modules. This time, I took 2 hours to complete 'Teamwork and Results Without Authority'. I guess cuz I was anxious to get to the band room before practice ends to tie up a few matters.

Content's not bad. In fact, I hope to use what these 2 topics teaches and transfer the knowledge in my next ALI Camp. ALI = Arts Leaders' Induction. See how. Gotta start planning soon.

In continuation with the fuss mentioned in my previous post - eliminating the undeserving - the 2nd module has this part about dealing with difficult people. How timely.

My previous dilemma was of more extreme measures. To sack or not to sack. Ahaha...so philosophical, huh? I was really uneasy at the thought of having to terminate, again. But I guess my mind was bogged down with the idea of the worst and forgot about the steps before getting there.

So with more knowledge, the better option is clear and kinda unblock my mind. Actually it wasn't anything that wasn't mentioned before, and it isn't something new. I guess I was just stumped by my own emotion. So...don't laugh when you read the following, k?

DEALING WITH DIFFICULT TEAMMATES
1. Confront the problem-causing teammate
2. Establish boundaries
3. Enforce boundaries

In short, to deal effectively with a difficult teammate, you first have to take the initiative and confront the person about his or her behavior. Then set the boundaries and explain what the consequences will be if the person doesn't stay within them. So if the person continues to be a problem for the team, follow through and impose the consequences.

How practical and simple. Yet sometimes many wait till it's unbearable before confronting, don't have the courage, or can't be bothered, to confront, don't take time to think about appropriate boundaries for the problem behaviour, and/or are too caught up with other tasks to follow through and enforce the boundaries.

Then again, there are people in question who couldn't care less. Ironically, those are the ones who make it easy (to get to step 3), so that step 1 and 2 are simply formalities.

I'm learning not to mix up practicality with plain, simplistic logic that's void of compassion. It is possible to marry the 2 and not be distracted by excessive emotions. Eliminating the undesirable being the right thing to do does not mean that we get into it blindly, especially when people are concerned.

I see that the 3-step approach introduced in my elearning module, though simple and practical, can also be an opportunity to exercise love and mercy. One may say that whether a prolonged tolerance with the process of step 1 (confrontation) and 2 (setting the boundaries) be done out of diplomacy or love, as long as the problem is solved, that's what matters. But I believe that as far as God is concerned, the intention of the heart is an vital consideration in our eternal report card.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

돌아왔어

Skitzophrenia

So Wonderful Is Your Goodness, O Lord!